Sunday, September 16, 2012

A Pleasing Party

 
Back to my grandmother, Mildred Loraine Gunzendorfer's, scrapbook.


 
Grandma liked to party!  This place card was given to her at A Pleasing Party, Margaret Wright's dinner party at the Hotel Del Monte, April 30, 1914.

"We had a fine time at this party and all enjoyed ourselves to the fullest extent."

A very pleasing dinner party took place last night at Hotel Del Monte in honor of the sixteenth birthday of Miss Margarte Wright, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. B.F. Wright of this city.  All of the young guests were friends and classmates of Miss Wright and ranging between the ages of sixteen and eighteen years.  The table which seated fourteen, was tastefully decorated for the occasion.  Those present were Miss Mary Salterbach, Miss Hallie Hitchcock, Miss Effie Frenda, Miss Aileen Griffiths, Miss Helen Otis, Miss Eleanor Philps, Miss Tersita Johnson, Miss Alice Hilby, Miss Loraine Gunzendorfer, Miss Margaret Wright, Mr. and Mrs. M.W. McMen... and Mr. and Mrs. B.F. Wright.

Good thing I knew this was grandma since her name isn't very clear! 

Loraine included the coat of arms at the Del Monte.



And there were more parties.

Margaret, Helen, Hallie, Eleanor, Mary, Terry and I were invited to supper at Elfie's Sunday night -
Sept 20/14.  Afterward some of the boys came up and we "ragged".

Hmmm, wonder what "ragged" meant in 1914?  A slang expression?

This is a cute placecard.  She wrote that it was given at a "little luncheon Helen Otis gave in January".  The cut-out in the dark purple is L G (backwards), her initials.




And Grandma turns 18!





There is a miss named Loraine
To her eighteenth birthday just came
To tell any more
would to all be a bore
And when Earle left it gave her a pain

 
I sure would love to find out more about these parties and maybe discover a picture or two.  I never know what I might find in all of these boxes so I won't give up hope!

5 comments:

  1. I wonder if "ragged" is slang for danced? When I read that it made me think of ragtime music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're probably right. Here is a definition I found:

      To perform (a piece of music or a dance) in ragtime.

      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. Leah beat me to it. I thought too "ragged" could be related to ragtime. The years are right. It seems your grandmother led a very social life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she did, too - and I'm having a lot of fun learning about it.

      Delete
  3. What treasures to have! I just Googled ragging dance and came up with the same :-) Jo

    ReplyDelete