Saturday, March 9, 2013

Fearless Females: Photo time!

Lisa Alzo at The Accidental Genealogist launched a series of 31 blogging prompts for celebrating and honoring the "fearless females" in our family trees in March, 2010. This year the series is being revisited in honor of National Women’s History Month and the purpose is to focus on the women in our lives and to make sure their stories are told.

Today I will use the prompt from March 2: Post a photo of one of your female ancestors. Who is in the photo? When was it taken? Why did you select this photo?

4 Generations cropped

I’ve posted this photo before but it is so special that I have to post it again.  How often are you able to get a photo of four generations of women together?

The baby is my grandmother, Mildred Loraine Gunzendorfer.  Loraine was born 20 Jan 1896 so judging from her size, I’d say this photo was taken in March or April, 1896. 

Holding Loraine is her mother, Bertha Schwartz Gunzendorfer (21 Jan 1872 – 1 Aug 1950).  “Birdie” was a beautiful young woman and I can pick her out of a photo anywhere! 

To Birdie’s right is her mother, Rebecca Steen Schwartz (8 Feb 1848 – 7 Jan 1918). 

The oldest woman is Rebecca’s mother, Hannah Plotzky Steen (20 Dec 1828 – 11 Apr 1909).  Hannah was widowed very early (1866) and lived the rest of her life alone.

I’m fortunate to have another photo of four generations of women – this time on my mother’s side!

Mabel Clara Gerry Cary

The baby is my sister, Carolyn, who was born in 1952 so this photo would have to be from early May, 1952.

My mother, Geraldine Martin Levy, is holding her.  Mom looks so happy to have that little baby in her arms!

To her right is her mother, Clara Fitzgerald Martin Hunter (22 Jan 1903 – 27 Feb 1987).  Stay tuned for more on Grandma in another Fearless Females post!

The oldest woman is Clara’s mother, Mabel McAboy Fitzgerald (6 Jun 1883 – 12 Nov 1966).  I’m so fortunate that I had the opportunity to know my great grandmother!  Mabel was the granddaughter of one of my favorite subjects, Emery Waller

So I couldn’t just pick one female ancestor – I picked eight of them!  How’s that for hitting the jackpot?

3 comments:

  1. The first photo is especially amazing because your grandmother is with HER great-grandmother meaning you have a picture of your 3G grandmother. I'm so jealous. I have pictures of some of my greats, but none of their mothers or grandmothers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have photos of several of my greats and even great greats. But you're right, having a photo of my 3x great is an amazing treasure!

      Delete
  2. Such wonderful photos, Debi! Birdie is beautiful. I also love the look on Rebecca's face. It's like she's laughing at some internal joke.

    ReplyDelete