Saturday, May 30, 2015

Family Photos - Christmas and Birthdays

I continue to go through photos, albums, and other family items in order to document things for future generations.  Next up, a family photo album that was stashed away in my parents’ home.  To read part 1, click here.

The next page of the photo album shows us sitting with Santa.  Although we were raised Jewish, my mother just couldn't bear to leave Santa out of our lives.


Santa's Two Dolls
1956
This was right about my 2nd birthday.

Santa Claus is Coming

Which one is Cary

Ha!  I think my dad's captions are almost as cute as the photos.


Merry Xmas
1956

My mom used to tell me that she hated the letter I.  I'm not sure what the letter I ever did to her but this spelling of my name, Debbe, must have been her attempt to wipe it out of our lives.  She must have been crushed when I changed the spelling to Debi in about the 7th grade.

And then came my sister's birthday in April, 1957, along with a friend, Doug Montgomery.  


Cary's Party
1957


Doug Montgomery's Party
1957

Oh boy, look at that TV!


A helper with the candles
1957
Look at that, it's the original photo of The Greatest Photo Ever Taken in the previous blog post.  It must have been quite an event, and probably pretty costly, to get the photo cropped and printed.  Now we would have it done in seconds.


Young Lady
1957
Sitting Nicely
1957


Ha-ha-ha
1957
Wonder what we were laughing at.  Maybe we were reminiscing about The Greatest Photo Ever Taken.  


Looking behind
1957


A big grin
1957
Cary's Party
1957

WAIT - what?  It looks like I'm opening the present while my sister, the birthday girl, looks on.  Was I one of THOSE kids?

And on to another Christmas.


Xmas Carolers
1957
I think my dad must have some dates wrong because last time I showed this picture which was dated 1956 - looks like I'm in the same clothes.  I can't imagine I would have been wearing the same size one year later.




In other news, I was able to confirm where the photo of my parents at Comstock Bonanza (from part 1) was taken.




I wrote to the Virginia City Tourism Commission and asked about the photo and received this reply.

Yes, this was in Virginia City, the tour was of the old Occidental Mine off State Route 341 two miles off C Street, our main drag.  This was the first mine tour that we know of in Virginia City.  It was bought by a private citizen and opened up in the early 1950s.

And the she asked ME if I had any more photos!  You just never know what you have that might be of interest to others.


2 comments:

  1. Oh these are fun, Debbe. HA HA -- I wonder if your mom just didn't like the fact that the letter "I" required 2 steps, at least in the lower case. These parties could have been mine - all the girls in pretty full dresses and black patent leather shoes. Imagine trying to get kids to dress up and sit at a table today.

    Do you have more photos for the Virginia City Tourism Commission? There is a lot of interest in old family photos, I'm finding. The community bank in the town where my husband grew up has a glass case filled with old photos, mostly from people who donated them and most were not professionally done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delightful pictures. They must be filled with happy memories for you.

    ReplyDelete