Sunday, August 30, 2015

Family Photos – Costumes and Cuties

I continue to go through photos, albums, and other family items in order to document things for future generations.  Next up, a family photo album that was stashed away in my parents’ home.  To start from the beginning, click here.

Halloween 1960 was, apparently, a fun one in the Levy household.  Mom wasn’t particularly crafty but I do remember she spent a lot of time and creativity with our Halloween costumes.  I really don’t recall ever having an “out of the box” costume – no fake masks for us!

Page 24 - 1960 Halloween Queen Deb
1960 Halloween
Queen Deb

I vaguely remember this little costume.  What 6 year old girl doesn’t like dressing up as a queen?  It looks like I was allowed to wear lipstick and earrings!  And if you’re following along, there’s the white bench!

And my sister was a farmer, according to my dad.  I don’t know why I remembered this costume as a scarecrow.

Page 24 - Farmer Cary and Queen
Farmer Cary and Queen

Looks like it was my sister’s turn to have her bangs whacked off!

Page 24 - Farmer

These must have been our school photos. 

Page 24 - Cary Cover Girl 1960
Cary Cover Girl 1960


Page 25 - Cover Girl Deb 1960
Cover Girl Deb 1960

Apparently by 1960 I had already perfected the art of eating.  Not much has changed since then!

Page 25 - Eats
Eats

Mom and Dad used to love to visit Las Vegas and we were lucky enough to go along at times. I will never forget the time I got air sick during landing and had to leave the plane wrapped in a wool blanket on a very, very hot day.  I remember being about 6 years old so based on the July, 1960 date on this picture, this must have been the time.  Looks like I was feeling fine on this day.

Page 25 - Breaking the law at Vegas 7_1960
Breaking the law at Vegas  July, 1960

Dad, didn’t you know what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas?

And a random photo thrown in. 

Page 25 - Daddy at Y Workshop 1960
Daddy at Y Workshop 1961

Anyone who knew my dad knew that one of the most important activities in his life was Rotary, followed closely by the YMCA.  Even back in 1961 he was active with these two organizations.  That’s Dad on the left but I’m not sure who the others are.  The guy sitting in the back could be Ed Sokoloski and the guy on the right with his hand on his face could be Ron James.  Maybe my brother or sister will chime in with their thoughts.

And the next page is centered almost entirely on me in 1961.  Wonder what I did to deserve that? 

This one is interesting.  When we were cleaning out our childhood home there were a few things here and there that brought back special memories to each of us.  There didn’t seem to be any real reason or memory that we could articulate but we each kept out a few things that we just had to have.  And for me, the pot on the left was one of those items!  Looks like one of my earliest memories of cooking included that pot.

Page 26 - Deb cooking 1961

And later that day (looks like the same dress), Dad took me outside and had me pose while sitting on the car.  Strange place to put your 6 year old!  The white bench on the porch is becoming my “Where’s Waldo” theme.

Page 26 - Deb car 1961

I guess we’ll let my sister into one of the photos.

Page 26 - Deb and Cary 1961

Wait – what’s going on with your bangs now, big sister?  Or could it be hat head?

I’m not sure what’s going on here. 

Page 26 - Deb at table 1961

What was I drinking?  My parents loved iced tea and we always had it around but I can’t imagine that’s what it was.  And my personal cure for hiccups was sugar water and while my spoon is out and looks like I’m ready to dig into the sugar, that liquid doesn’t look like water.  What I can say, though, is that the kitchen didn’t look all that much different the last time I saw it in 2013. 


3 comments:

  1. I love looking at these family photos and reading your comments. Thanks for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was the heyday of Kool-Aid but your drink does have that "tea" color, so I guess it wasn't Kool-Aid.

    I know you got your favorite pot, but what about that apron? That's the best style of apron, so I hope it was still around and up for grabs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, a bottom freezer in 1961! I didn't know they had them back then. More great time capsule photos!

    ReplyDelete