Sunday, June 4, 2017

Scrapbook #2 - More news from Sig

As I continue on with the scrapbook, it hit me that I don’t think I’ll have enough hours in the day, or days in the week, or weeks in the year, to adequately document these scrapbooks.  While there is a lot of interesting information, it just can’t be done.  So I’ll quit stressing about it and just document things that pertain to Sig and are the most interesting, not to mention the easiest to scan.

I wish this had a date on it but based on other things on this page, I’d guess it to be from somewhere in the 1944-1946 range.

Page 3 Air WAC Show

One thing that I’ve learned about my grandfather is that he was involved in A LOT of things.  This article is from October 13, 1946.

Page 3 Browsing Around

I learned a little about Victor Mature.

Page 4 Mature Aids SPARS

Of course I had to meet with my best friend Google to learn a little more about him.  While I don’t remember him specifically, I did learn that he starred in about 50 movies from 1939 until the early 1970’s.  I wonder if my grandparents, or my parents, ever went to the theater to check him out.

Victor Mature

Sig was a planner for Flag Week.  How patriotic he must have felt to see a flag in front of every home and business in Fresno.

Page 4 Flag Week

Let’s not skip by this article highlighting the advertiser in the news for February, 1947 – Sig Levy!

Page 4 News of Advertisers

It doesn’t look like Sig was “counted” as a veteran.  I’m not sure why since he served during WWI.

I knew I’d seen something about the train wreck when I blogged HERE.  Something tells me I’m going to find out more about this event.

Last year I wrote about Sig and Loraine cruising to Hawaii HERE.  How fun to see the same photo was published in the newspaper and Sig included it in his scrapbook.  Sure enough, it was from their cruise in 1949.

Page 4 Honolulu

Here we see the class of 1920, both 2nd and 3rd, to have a Levy brother included – Sig in the 2nd class, older brother Herb in the 3rd class.  And there’s Leon in the class of 1922. 

I’m sure this was important but I just don’t know what it all means.

Page 4 Sciots Bull

Last, but not least, was this from the America Red Cross Arsenal in 1944.  What makes it special is that the son they refer to was my dad, Gordon Levy. 

Page 4 Trading Post

While it’s completely overwhelming to think about capturing all of this, I do appreciate that my grandparents saved everything and have given me the opportunity to get a glimpse into their lives.

4 comments:

  1. No one in my family has made it into the newspaper but a handful of times. I don't know why I didn't save anything. My descendants will have to use other methods to learn more about us I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least they'll have digital records to help them find you. That takes up a lot less space than scrapbooks!

      Delete
  2. He sure was a busy man! Amazing that he kept all these news clippings---and how lucky for you! I'd be scouring newspapers.com instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've spent a lot of time on newspapers.com, as well. But this scrapbook is just the first of about 10-12. Most of the scrapbooks are filled with historical clippings about Fresno as he was in commercial real estate - I'm counting on a Historical Society to take those off my hands at some point

      Delete